Please share and distribute immediately with Alaska Native people who had family members that attended Carlisle Boarding School.
The US Army is currently seeking assistance in locating family members or tribes to return ancestral remains. To view the handout Carlisle brochure – click here.
Army has extended invitations to consult on this issue to all Federally recognized tribes. Because the historical records are so incomplete, Army cannot determine all the tribes represented within the Carlisle Cemetery. If you believe you have an ancestral family member buried at Carlisle and would like to consult on having their remains relocated to a cemetery of your choice, please contact:
Army National Military
Cemeteries, 1 Memorial Drive,
Arlington, VA 22211 or: email@example.com
Consultation Goals Include:
- Assess tribes with ancestral remains interred at Carlisle cemetery;
- Assist tribal families to provide Army with exhumation requests and affidavits;
- Develop processes for sensitive treatment of remains before/during/after excavation;
- Develop process for legal transfer to families and transport of remains;
- Work with tribes to develop list of which tribal members will be in attendance during excavation for ceremonial purposes or to take possession of remains.